Who among us?

Ricky Stevens deltabluz@hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 18:31:48 EST 2005

>Some might argue that his motive, from the start, has been to make
>himself wealthy by laying claim to the artistic achievement of others.

I'm not The Shadow; I do not know what evil lurks in the hearts of men.  I
am not privy to the motives behind Mr. LaVere's actions.  I also do not view
"profit" or being wealthy as bad things.  I view "profit" as that which
allows one to eat.  I view "wealth" as making enough profit  to allow one to
eat well and in comfort.

"Some might argue that he got himself 50% of all Robert Johnson's
>royalties by promising wealth to the legal heirs he found in exchange
>for a signature rewarding him with half (plus expenses)."

Some might also argue that if that's the case he delivered on his end of the
bargain.  I seem to recall that Claud Johnson's settlement amounted to
upwards of a million dollars.

">I could probably tell you more of what I've heard people say but I
>should probably do that privately if you are interested.
>
>Sounds like you guys are buddies though, so maybe not."

I see no reason to indulge in gossip.  I've heard lots of interesting and
unflattering stories about the man as well.  Buddies?  I've never met the
man.

What is truly remarkable is that 60 years after his death a discussion of
Robert Johnson can arouse the strong emotions evident in the on and offlist
comments I have received.

Ricky Stevens
Arkabutla, Mississippi