Song Information

Steven Harnar chrfoblues2005@yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 11:06:42 EST 2005

Here's a print i found.  Kinda looks like an adobe mock up though doesn't it?  Like Leroy and Scrapper's heads on someone else's body?  http://www.toad.net/~harpe/blues/carr.html

chefo

Steven Harnar <chrfoblues2005@yahoo.com> wrote:
I think it would be safe to say that Leroy Carr was greatly influenced by Ollie Akins. I'm sure Leroy's partner Scrapper Blackwell would have had some input on Leroy's sound as well. I think the further back you go the more difficult it is to nail down just exactly where the "sound" originally came from. One thing for certain is that each musician took the music further from where they found it. It is almost as if it is a living breathing thing.

Steve Harnar

Steve Hoffman wrote:
Robert Johnson heard the RECORDS of Leroy Carr. They were BIG selling
records, and he heard Leroy Carr's records even if he never heard Leroy
Carr live. Sure, Johnson was influenced by folks he knew personally --
but just like today's young musicians are influenced by the big
recording stars of our day, Robert Johnson was influenced by the big
recording stars of his day -- and from the late 1920s thru mid-1930s
Leroy Carr was one of the biggest selling blues artists.
-Steve Hoffman
p.s. Of course, the LYRICS to "Love in Vain" are themselves a work of
great creativity and artistry, even if he lifted the melody from Leroy Carr!

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com