Song Information

Joel Fritz willie_mctell@comcast.net
Tue Mar 15 00:55:09 EST 2005

These are the same lyrics Jimmy Rushing sang with the Basie band in the
thirties.  I've have recordings of both versions, and they're the same
song.  T Bone Walker did the song much slower than the Basie version.

I think it's interesting that Walker made some records where he sang
differently from the cool approach he took most of the time.  In the
forties he did shouting and crooning besides the voice that generally
comes to mind when you think of him.

His recordings from the forties and early fifties are gorgeous--hard to
top.  The guitar is minimalist but perfect and his vocal phrasing is
terrific but sounds so simple and easy it's almost like speech.

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly--that's me--on the web.
http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly