The Duke Meets the Earl

Jean M. Kutzke jkutzke@verizon.net
Fri Mar 11 09:35:55 EST 2005

Hey there blues fans:

Just got my copy of The Duke Meets the Earl by Duke Robillard and Ronnie
Earl (SPCD 1303 Stony Plain Records). What a CD. Both play w/ such emotion
and feeling it just grabs ya and moves ya. I've been a big fan of both
artists for a long time and feel this CD they've done together is by far one
of the best Blues CDs I've ever purchased. The sound is great and the songs
are arranged and laid out well. They hand things back and forth quite well,
and change gears mid-song seamlessly i.e. Two Bones and a Pick. Robillard
strikes again with his soulful vocals on My Tears. Mr. Earl's playing is
awesome. He's always had a way w/ instrumentals, but these songs take the
cake. It's definitely a classic by two virtuosos. A must for blues fans.

Can't have a CD w/out backing musicians. Duke and Ronnie are accompanied on
this CD primarily by Duke's band consisting of Mark Teixeira on drums, Matt
McCabe on Piano, and Jesse Williams on bass. However, there are appearances
by two other musicians. Those being Jimmy McGriff on Hammond B3 for a few
songs and Mighty Sam McClain for vocals on A Soul That's Been Abused both
stellar musicians in their own right. To round out the lineup you've got Rod
Carey on bass and Dave Limina on Hammond B3 as well.

Be sure to give it a listen.

To name a few spots, copies available at www.dukerobillard.com and
www.stonyplainrecords.com/Web.

Enjoy,

Jean M. Kutzke, Owner and Entertainment Consultant
Fan Clubs and More
P.O. Box 897
Freeport, IL 61032
(815) 233-1155