New York City Blues

Terry Forche dntforche@comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 18:48:36 EST 2005

It seems that Terra Blues was mentioned the most.
B.B.'s got mentioned a couple of times.
Arthurs Cavern was mentioned. i went to their website and heard a clip of
Curtis Dean. He sounded very good, unfortunately he will not be there fri or
sat.
there also was a bassist named Ivan Bodely, who sounded interesting.
B.L.U.E.S sounds interesting.
a lot more mentioned as just possiblities for music.

my wife will be in class all day long and i will be wandering with my
camera. bbq and pastrami!

-----Original Message-----
From: Blues Music List [mailto:BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG]On Behalf Of
Dave Markovits
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:48 AM
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Subject: New York City Blues

I would love to hear answers to Terry's inquiry about NYC. I have been to
New York several

times over the years. Never been to a blues show. Tramps closed, Lone Star
Café closed,

Manny's Car Wah closed, Chicago Blues closed.

I know there is a bar in the village called Terra Blues but don't know much
about it.

My personal experiences have been Joe Lovano at the Village Vanguard, Clark
Terry

at the Village Vanguard and Ken Nordine/Howard Levy at the Knitting Factory.

While I think the Vanguard is a neat place, I think the staff is surly. You
buy your minimum

in advance (2 drinks) then they pressure you to order and it can be a real
pain. It's a cool

room but it's probably the worst joint as far as how they deal with
customers.

Never been to Birdland, great lineups seems very pricey. Never been to BB
Kings

but I have heard less than flattering things.

Dave Markovits

Chicago, IL

BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org