DualDiscs -- Seeing More Music on the Flip Side

Steve Hoffman steve@goodnote.com
Sat Mar 5 11:24:39 EST 2005

I'm old-fashioned.  I  like to buy music AS MUSIC.  Not music with music
videos to "illustrate" the music for me.  Not music with a documentary
about the musician's life.  Not music with "exclusive backstage" shots
of the band sitting around acting stupid (unless it's Spinal Tap).  All
those things can come later, but I just like an album (or CD) cover with
a bit of artwork, a photo or two, and then let me listen to the SOUNDS
on the disc (or the tape, or the vinyl).

Now, if other folks dig DualDiscs where you can flip the thing over and
get a DVD, that's fine.  But what I'm worried about is this.  You KNOW
those DualDisc's are gonna be priced higher than regular CDs.  So
eventually if regular CDs are phased out in favor of DualDisc's I'll
have to shell out $20 or $25 for the next Bob Dylan album or Elvis
Costello album instead of the $15 I now I have to spend.  Not good.

-Steve Hoffman