No Mustang Sally

Joel Fritz willie_mctell@comcast.net
Tue Mar 1 18:28:44 EST 2005

Paul Nunis wrote:
> "I'd say learn to please the people who are paying you to be entertained,
> then worry about getting cute with "originals" later."
>
> Everyone should do as they like, and not that I have anything against a
> good cover act, or even that I think  originals are superior, but they are
> apples and oranges, and I (for myself) just don't see *not* doing originals
> in order to get good at doing originals.
>
> But maybe I've just heard one too many original that sound strangely
> familiar.....
>
> 'I'm you're Grocery Man, stop me when I'm drivin' by
> Yes I'm you're Grocery Man, stop me when I'm driving by,
> All the ladies love me when I whip out my big 10 inch favorite kind of
> pie...'
>
> OR
>
> 'Corvette Suzy...guess you better speed that Corvette up'
>
> (I've also heard some awful examples of rushing to be 'creative', without
> mastering a few basics, so I'm not advocating that either).

Reminds me of my favorite "Sweet Home Chicago" variant--Bo Carter's
"Border of New Mexico."  The refrain is "Don't you want to go to old San
Antonio, Texas on the border of New Mexico."

I looked at a map when I first heard the song.  In spite of the
geographical problem it's good.  The tune is different, the lyrics are
similar but different, and the guitar part is pure Bo Carter.

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

  http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly