NBC: california's new music file sharing law (it passed)

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@p-dub.com
Thu Sep 23 18:19:41 EDT 2004

At 06:24 AM 9/23/2004 -0400, c.n. wrote:
>Tell me Paul (and anyone else who might have an opinion), do you think it
>will have any effect on illegal file sharing? (As your statement seems to
>imply otherwise).  Do you think it's a good start, a bad start, a waste of
>time and the ink that it took Arnold to sign the bill?

In my opinion it's just another piece of smoke and mirrors legislation,
designed to give the appearance of dealing with an issue without having to
DO anything or spend any money.  Stealing is already a crime.  Copying,
selling, distributing copyrighted property is already a crime.  The idea of
requiring that you identify yourself when you commit that crime is
ludicrous.  It's like the rash of "hate crime" laws that spread across the
country when that poor soul died after being drug behind a pick-up
truck.  Murder is already a crime.  It already has the most severe penalty
attached to it.  Why would we need another law to kick in when the motive
is "hate"?

Legislators pass these kinds of laws out of guilt.  They know they've done
nothing about a problem, and probably won't do anything about it, so they
create an illusion of action to try and placate a gullible public.

No fool left behind.

P.W. Fenton
New Port Richey, FL
http://BluesLand.Net - A comprehensive network of Blues related resources