NBC: california's new music file sharing law (it passed)

Joel Fritz willie_mctell@comcast.net
Thu Sep 23 11:52:25 EDT 2004

c.n. wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 04:18:22 -0400, P.W. Fenton <pwfenton@p-dub.com> wrote:
>

>>At 10:30 PM 9/22/2004 -0400, Chuck N. wrote:
>>
>>>California file sharers who trade songs or films without providing an e-
>>>mail address will be guilty of a misdemeanor, under the first-in-the-
>>>nation measure that could make it easier for law enforcement to track
>
> down
>
>>>people who illegally download copyrighted material.
>>
>>An interesting concept.  Maybe we should extend the logic to all crimes...
>>Anyone who commits a crime and does not tell the police is guilty of a
>
> crime.
>

> Concept's ass. It's now a law in California (or so I thought that's what
> the newspaper story I posted implied).
>
> Tell me Paul (and anyone else who might have an opinion), do you think it
> will have any effect on illegal file sharing? (As your statement seems to
> imply otherwise).  Do you think it's a good start, a bad start, a waste of
> time and the ink that it took Arnold to sign the bill?
> regards, chuck

It's a silly law designed to make people in the recording and movie
biz--a big deal in CA last time I noticed--feel better.  Regardless of
the right and wrong of file sharing (and it is wrong to give away
copyrighted stuff), making unenforceable superfluous laws doesn't do
anything to solve the problem.

It also shows how weak a grasp of the internet a lot of folks have. It's
not as bad as legislating that pi = 3, but it's the same sort of mind
set. I could go on, but I don't have peak rant energy this morning.

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

  http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly