grammar and hurricanes

c.n. cnevitt@HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 19 07:12:07 EDT 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:51:37 -0500, Karen McFarland
<somanybonnets@hotmail.com> wrote:

<<As a Ph.D. in English and a 25-year veteran of teaching College
Composition and Literature classes, I have to say that I've found the
thread about effective communication very interesting; I think that in an
informal setting, such as the Blues-L is, it's a bit harsh [although not
unwarranted] for anyone to criticize another's lack of fluency in writing
Standard American English.>>

Not unwarranted, in an informal setting, while discussing the blues? I
guess some folks might say it wouldn't be unwarranted to expect or want
all blues performers to sing in "Standard American English."  Sorry, I
don't buy it (nor do I want it), no matter how uncomfortable it might some
people.  Here's hoping that "My Baby Done Left Me" drives 'em all stoned-
ass blind, crippled, & crazy.... Until then, perhaps they might be better
off listening to Pat Boone cover the blues.

Yours Truely,
Murky Pool of Condensation