Jazzfest producer wins encore

pat boyack pat@PATBOYACK.COM
Thu Sep 16 22:26:02 EDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:53:01 -0700, Jef Jaisun <jef@jaisunphoto.com> wrote:

>Well, the trade-off is cramming 3,000 people inside a tent with no decent
>ventilation. There's nowhere for all that human-generated heat to go.
>They've tried installing fans, which were completely inadequate. They've
>tried rolling up the side flaps of the tent, but all that does is get
>people standing on the sides to see the show, blocking whatever marginal
>air flow there might be. (And as we all know, there ain't much wind down
>there without a hurricane in town.) At least on the infield you're not
>trapped inside a human sweatbox.

No, you're just baking in the sun which is hotter than the tent.

>There's also the issue of having to sit in stiff-back chairs or on a
>concrete floor, which is about as appealing as whacking one's head with a
>hammer. Dancing on that stuff is even worse. The artificial turf installed
>at the back of the tent in 2003 was an interesting amenity, but it also
was
>a feeble attempt to emulate the real thing we used to have on the infield.

Give me the chairs instead of fire ants. Grass in the infield? You mean
dead grass and a lot of dirt.

>Audio quality is inconsistent and usually pretty awful in the tent. You
>can't get away from screechy, overdriven mixes just by stepping off to the
>side, like you could at the old Blues Stage. At least there are options on
>the infield, which don't involve having to extricate onesself from the
>middle of a row of chairs.

The sound outside the tent can be worse. First it sounds like they need a
new sound man if you still need to step off to the side even during an
outside show. Second, there are options; don't sit in the middle if you
don't like the chairs, concrete, or sound.

>When people come to Jazz Fest they expect to be out in the open, basking
>and/or baking in the sun. People come prepared for those conditions. An
>example would be the various "encampments" in front of the Acura Stage.
>Those folks stake out their spots early in the morning and stay there all
>day. They bring hats, water, sunscreen, unbrellas and whatever else they
>may need.

Yeah they do that so they can see Sting look at them for a second or maybe
to have Lenny Kravitz throw them a pick. The blues crowd to me is
different.

>As for the size of crowds at the old stage vs. the tent: I've seen it both
>ways. When Marcia played the HOB stage the area was jammed. When lesser
>known acts play the tent the audience size drops accordingly.

I have played five Jazz Fests with Marcia and have not played the HOB or
Blues tents. As an artist however I do park in the parking lot next to the
Blues tent and it is always full or close to it. Deacon John and Tab
Beniot come to mind and it sounded fine too. I did go to the HOB stage the
first two years and there was a much smaller crowd each time.

>Then I guess there's that whole conceptual idea of shoving the Blues Tent
>way off in the far west corner of the parking lot, past the 'OZ Jazz Tent,
>past the Gospel Tent, past all the vendors and food booths, and directly
>behind the Acura Stage. Gee, the blues as an after-thought, anyone? Not to
>mention the blowback volume from Acura is frequently so loud it drowns out
>or interferes with the blues acts. (Like the time Lenny Kravitz brought
his
>own sound and cranked it up to 15.)

The Blues tent is just as far form the food and other amenities as any
other as far as I can tell. But I will give you the fact that the Acura
stage can be loud but that is a problem with any Fest that has many stages
going at once. That's why Ray Charles had it in his contract that no other
bands could be playing at the same time as him, problem or not.

>Whatever they do, they got to do better than that.

Move it inside with air conditioning.

Pat B

>On 14 Sep 2004 18:30:49 -0700, pat@PATBOYACK.COM (pat boyack) wrote:
>
> >Sorry, I hope they don't. The sun beating down on many is not missed.
The
> >years I did see the blues stage on the infield it had smaller crowds
than
> >the tent the last three or so it seemed that way. Also, I do notice that
> >you see people inside the tent, not off to the side enjoying that
Jazzfest

http://www.lsoft.com
BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org