Effective blues communications

Walter Potter maxdog-blues-l@comcast.net
Thu Sep 16 14:40:20 EDT 2004

Fred Dabney wrote:
> This whole matter of "intellegence", education and the rest reminds
> me of a point I haven't seen mentioned yet.
>
> For all of the erudition and correct language many of us display,
> something we all need to know is that most of us wouldn't last
> more than a few minutes in the surroundings a lot of these artists
> live in all their lives.

Good point, and one that is covered by the Will Roger's quote in my
signature. As a university employee I can say that I have met more than
my share of educated dumb-asses. People with a PhD and no idea how to
function in the real world. Education does not equal intelligence.
Intelligence isn't a measure how much you've learned but a measure of
the ability to learn.

> A parallel I like to make around my area of the country
> is "Why do we call them "Dumb Mexicans" when they
> are the ones who are bi-lingual, not us Anglos"...

There has been a major influx of Mexicans in this area in the last 20
years. These "Dumb Mexicans" have been some hard working people and have
gone from migrant workers to blue collar workers to business owners.
"Dumb" indeed.

--
maxdog

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." -Will Rogers