KBA- keeping blues musicians alive

gtrmac gtrmac@prodigy.net
Wed Sep 15 17:17:33 EDT 2004

Guitar Mac.
http://www.guitarmac.com
http://pages.prodigy.net/gtrmac
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chas Winans" <chuckone@sbcglobal.net>
To: <BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: KBA- keeping blues musicians alive

> I'm very appreciative of the genaeology, both musical and familial.
Anyone who is remotely knowledgable about blues music in Chicago knows who
Eddie Taylor, Sr. was.

> That his boyhood babysitter was Memphis Minnie or that Robert Johnson's
brother was his mother's boyfriend is interesting, though I'm not at all
certain how these non-blood relative family ties are relevent to the playing
of the music.  Perhaps someone could fill in the blanks for me.  Did Memphis
Minnie teach guitar to Eddie Taylor?  Did Eddie's mother introduce him to
Robert Johnson's brother who then introduced him to Robert Johnson who then
taught Eddie some guitar?

> I mean, I'm a direct decendent of the German immigrant who was the chief
architect for the Brooklyn Bridge, but that in no way entitles me to a job
on a construction site.

> I'm much more interested in finding out where in Chicago Larry Taylor is
performing on any sort of regular basis.  I see Eddie Jr. quite a bit and
Tim is (and has been for a long time) drumming with Eddie Shaw.  But the
Larry Taylor website lists no performance dates.  None.

> Unless I'm just looking in the wrong section of the site.  Perhaps someone
could enlighten me.

> Sincerely,
>
> Chuck Winans, President
> Portraits In Performance Photography, Inc.
> Chicago, Illinois
> EMAIL: chuckone@sbcglobal.net
> WEBSITE: www.pipphotography.com
>

> Bonni McKeown <bonni@barrelhousebonni.com> wrote:
> Commenting on Jean Pierre's post...
>
> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:42:10 +0200
> From: J.Urbain@KE.unimaas.nl
> Subject: Re: KBA= Keeping a Blues Musician alive
>

> I'm really surprised for example to read Dick's comment that Larry
(Taylor) is
> unknown to him (correct me if I misunderstood)!!!!
> He is there in Chicago since quite some time, did some great drumming on
> various Wolf and Delmark records behind Eddie Taylor, vera Taylor,
> with his brother Eddie Taylor Jr (a REALLY OVERLOOKEd musician btw ...),
> Eddie Burns , ... and moreover has a really very interesting album out
under
> his name "LARRY TAYLOR BLUES AND SOUL BAND: they were in this house" where
> he both sings and plays drums. The album features great West side guys
including the subtil and great
> Willie Davis on gtr; really a good piece of Chicago blues and soul, IMHO,
that really deserves to be much better
> known. He is also as leader on the very recent "Best West and South Side
Blues Singers Volume 2" that
> was just released on Wolf. Listening to this stuff as well as to Eddie
taylor Jr's stuff (as well as to
> many others!) I believe that the frustration I read behind his email is
understandable.

> NEW POST from Barrelhouse Bonni:
>
> Those who are not acquainted with Eddie Taylor Sr. should give a close
listen to early Jimmy Reed records; that's Eddie's insistent boogie bass
lines behind Jimmy's harmonica. In fact, it was Eddie who brought Jimmy Reed
to Chicago. But, like piano player Johnnie Johnson was eclipsed by bandmate
Chuck Berry, Eddie Sr. never quite got the publicity of Jimmy Reed.
According to Mike Rowe in his book Chicago Blues: The City & The Music ,
"Much of the success of Reed's records is due to Taylor, who provided the
solid bass figures."

> Born in Benoit, MS, Eddie Sr. 's boyhood babysitter was Memphis Minnie.
Robert Johnson's brother was a boyfriend ofhis mother. He met and played
with many of the early bluesmen like Charley Patton, Son House, Robert Jr.
Lockwood and Homesick James. Taylor had early hits on VJ records; one of his
famous tunes was "Bad Boy." He also plays on several John Lee Hooker records
and on sessions with Muddy and Wolf.

> Another unsung musician associated with Jimmy Reed and very close to the
Taylor family is Johnnie Mae Dunson (Smith), who still lives here in Chicago
and writes dozens of songs. Johnnie Mae, now 83, helped clean up Reed after
he was stumbling drunk; she played drums in his band and went on the road
with the band and played on Maxwell Street. Johnnie MAe sang from a
wheelchair in the 2003 and 2004 Chicago Blues fests.

> Eddie married Lee Vera Hill, a fine singer who recorded an album for Wolf
before her untimely death in 1999. Several of the Taylor sons and daughters
play traditional postwar Chicago blues, and are known for their authentic
styles. Eddie Jr. sounds very much like his father on guitar; Larry and Tim
are drummers and Larry now, as we mention, sings in front of the LArry
Taylor Blues and Soul Band. Trace some more Taylor heritage on his website

BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org