Effective blues communications

Steve Hoffman steve@goodnote.com
Tue Sep 14 10:18:15 EDT 2004

Good point, Twist.

Hell, my own grandfather (may he rest in peace), who wasn't a black guy
from the South, he was a Jewish guy from a little town in Poland, a
tailor who immigrated to the U.S. and - although he learned English, he
could barely write it.  He would send me notes (on my birthday and so
on) in which virtually not a single word was spelled correctly!   He
lived a good life, and was an excellent tailor, and a loving husband and
grandfather and the real deal - a salt-of-the-earth workingclass guy who
lived much of his life in poverty .. . . . but yeah his written English
wasn't too great.

I like and respect Richard F., but I really do think his post attacking
Mac's grammar was inappropriate.  First of all, it was rude. And second
of all,  I mean, c'mon, blues itself is often full of rough, not
grammatically perfect language - most bluesmen do not speak the "King's
English"!  And I hope Richard's post does not dissuade others (e.g.,
musicians, or blues fans from non-English-speaking countries) with less
than perfect spelling or grammar from posting on Blues-L if they have
something to say.

With respect to Richard, Mac, Twist, and my late grandfather,
Steve Hoffman