Great Googly Moogly!!!

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@p-dub.com
Sun Sep 12 12:08:07 EDT 2004

I have just left the website for the soon to be released movie "Lightning
In A Bottle" and I have tears in my eyes.  It starts you out watching a
trailer for the film.  Eventually it ends with a performance by B.B. King
singing "Sweet Little Angel" about a year ago.  Anybody who has seen B.B.
in recent years knows that B.B.'s skills have diminished a bit.  His vocal
range has lowered and narrowed, his fingers have slowed, and his
improvisational skills have constricted.  He is still well worth seeing,
but you come away thinking... B.B. is showing his age.  This performance
captured at New York's Radio City Music Hall on February 7th, 2003, was
clearly a magical moment for B.B.  He manages to hit all those high notes
that used to be part of the performance of this song in the 70s and
80s.  It was thrilling to hear him summoning his past.

This is a concert film.  This is the benefit concert that was held to mark
the premiere of the PBS series, so widely debated here, about 'The
Blues".  This film appears to be as thrilling as we hoped the series would
be.  It features...

THE MUSICIANS
The Band
Levon Helm
Dr. John
Steve Jordan
Danny Kortchmar
Ivan Neville
Keb' Mo'
Larry Taylor
Willie Weeks
Kim Wilson
The Beale St. Horns
Andrew Love
Ben Cauley
Jack Hale
Jim Horn
Singers
Vanisse Thomas
Curtis King
Babi Floyd
Featured Performers (in order of appearance):
Angelique Kidjo
Mavis Staples
Honeyboy Edwards
Keb' Mo'
James Blood Ullmer and Allison Krauss
India.Arie
Odetta
Natalie Cole
Larry Johnson
Buddy Guy
Ruth Brown
Macy Gray
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown
Kim Wilson
Bonnie Raitt
John Hammond
John Fogerty
Steve Tyler and Joe Perry
The Neville Brothers
Shemekia Copeland
Robert Cray
David Johansen and Hubert Sumlin
Solomon Burke
Vernon Reid
Chuck D. and Fine Arts Militia
B.B. King
Archival Performances and Interviews:
Son House
John Lee Hooker
Jimi Hendrix
Lazy Lester
Jimmie Vaughn
Chris Thomas King
Mos' Def

I can't wait to see this film.  It opens October 22nd in New York, and
November 5th in LA.

The website is at...
http://www.sonyclassics.com/lightninginabottle/trailer.html
The 51 page press kit is at