Lightnin' Hopkins!!!

JoeKessler jrk02@GO.COM
Fri Sep 10 11:46:57 EDT 2004

Yeah, I'm with you Steve. When I need a fix, I usually grab that 2 disc
Rhino collection. Even though I have a bunch of others (Herald, Alladin,
Gold Star, Prestige/Bluesville, Arhoolie & even Smithsonian Folkways (which
might be Arhoolie too)  - but no Verve/Folkways.)

I'll have to listen for the Trombone next time.

>>"Hopkins is one of these guys who recorded SO damn much (and so much of
it in the same vein) that sometimes I take him for granted or something
-- but when you hear one of his recordings at his peak, it is like a
JOLT to the gut."

Right on. He was a masterful story-teller and could come up with songs on
the fly. And I enjoy every one of 'em.