Bill Broonzy and the Singing Horses

Son Lewis Sonlewis1@aol.com
Sun Sep 5 11:54:28 EDT 2004

In a message dated 9/5/2004 10:51:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kenficara@gmail.com writes:

Mainly a  blues singer, he was the unwashed darling of purist
fans, but he had short patience with all the folk curators  who
insist that a true folk song has to  be of unknown authorship and
come down  through the oral tradition. "I guess all songs is folk
songs," he said. "I never heard no horse sing  'em."

I was on a TV show a couple of years ago, hosted by folk-musicologist Ralph
Litwin.  It was called "Horses Sing None Of It" and the quote on one of the
backdrops credited Broonzy with saying "I never heard no horses sing none of
it"...

I am not sure which was correct, but Ralph was pretty anal about folk music
and history.

Son  Lewis
Blues vocalist/guitarist
_Silk  City Recording Artist_ (http://www.sonlewis.com/)