white man's blues, was Re: White Stripes?

Steve Hoffman steve@goodnote.com
Sun Sep 5 11:45:38 EDT 2004

Honestly, I didn't even read the prior posts on this thread, but . . . .

White Stripes are not blues.  They are not white man's blues. They are
not white-striped blues. They are not blues.

What they ARE  . . . . a really cool, distinctive, primitive GARAGE ROCK
BAND.  As such, they are, IMO, wonderful.

And yes, that is true even if Jack White digs blues. He also digs
country music. That doesn't make them a country band.  I listen to a lot
of 60s-style garage rock, and the White Stripes are the 21st century
equivalent.  One of the defining elements of rock'n'roll is that it
absorbs elements from other folk, vernacular, roots styles -- and
crunches them into something different.

-Steve Hoffman