N/SBC: "Pave paradise, put up a parking lot......."

Steve Hoffman steve@goodnote.com
Fri Sep 3 22:30:09 EDT 2004

Sad, sad, sad.  Especially since 99% of tourists who visit New Orleans
associate jazz with the French Quarter, having no idea that the real
cradle of jazz was more on the OTHER side of Canal Street, on those
South Rampart St blocks (and the generally most visitors nowaday only
think of, if at all, as a run-down area near the site of the
Superdome).   Here's a good story about the significance of the site,
and the earlier hopes of Papa Gee --
http://www.louisianaweekly.com/cgi-bin/weekly/news/articlegate.pl?20020422p

Steve Hoffman