PLAYLIST: KMSU/KMSK blues, Aug. 17 - 30, 2004

KMSUBLUES@aol.com KMSUBLUES@aol.com
Fri Sep 3 15:16:52 EDT 2004

KMSU/KMSK WEEKLY BLUES PLAYLISTS
KMSU 89.7FM (Mankato, Minnesota, USA)
KMSK 91.3 FM (Austin, Minnesota, USA)
MARK HALVERSON
Blues Host & Producer
E-MAIL: KMSUBlues@mnmojo.com

BLUES BEFORE MONDAY: 7:00-10:00 p.m. Sunday with Mark and Gary, the "White
Bread Blues Boys."  Mark was gone for a couple shows, so Gary (AKA "Maverick
Slim") soloed.

      ARTIST / SONG TITLE / LABEL (A) = album title
     August 22, 2004
       HOUR 1
    (A) Arthur "Big Boy"Crudup/Crudup's Rockin' Blues/RCA
 1. Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup/That's All right Mama/RCA
 2. Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup/She's Just Like Caledonia/RCA
 3. Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup/Rock Me Mamma/RCA
 4. Arthur "Big Boy" Hand Me Down My Walking Cane/RCA
 5. Champion Jack Dupree/When I'm Drinkin'/Rounder
 6. Johnny Adams/Still In Love/Rounder
 7. Snooks Eaglin/Dizzy Miss Lizzy/Black Top
 8. Professor Longhair/It's My Fault, Darling/Alligator
 9. James Booker/On The Sunny Side Of The Street/Rounder
10. Irma Thomas/Straight From The Heart/Razor Tie
    (A) Wynonie Harris//Charly
11. Wynonie Harris/Lovin' Machine/Charly
12. Wynonie Harris/Mr. Blues Is Coming To Town/Charly
13. Wynonie Harris/I Like My Baby's Pudding/Charly
17. Wynonie Harris/Rock Mr. Blues/Charly
       HOUR 2
18. Alvin Youngblood Hart/Cowboy Boots/Hannibal
19. Alvin Youngblood Hart/When I Was Cowboy/Okeh
20. Steve James/Born To Lose/Burnside
21. Corey Harris/Frankie And Johnnie/Alligator
22. Guy Davis/New Shoes/Red House
23. City Mouse/Liza Jane/self
23. City Mouse/One More Mile/self
24. John Lee Hooker/Peace Lovin' Man/Chess MCA
25. John Lee Hooker/Stella Mae/Chess MCA
26. Howlin' Wolf/Who's Been Talkin'/Chess MCA
27. Otis Spann/Feelin' Good/Prestige
28. B.B. King/You Upset Me/Kent
29. The Butterfield Blues Band/Walkin' Blues/Electra
30. Magic Sam/You Belong To Me/Delmark
31. Otis Rush/So Many Roads/Delmark
32. Son Seals/Woman In Black/Alligator
33. Fenton Robinson/Texas Flood/Alligator
34. Buddy Guy/Love Her With A Feeling/Silvertone
35. Eddie C. Campbell/Busted/Blind Pig
36. Billy Branch & The Sons of Blues/Small Town Baby/Evidence
       HOUR 3
37. Muddy Waters/My Home Is In The Delta/Chess MCA
38. Muddy Waters/Long Distance/Chess MCA
39. Slim Harpo/You'll Be Sorry One Day/Hip-O
40. Slim Harpo/One More Day/Hip-O
41. Elmore James/Talk To Me Baby/Charly
42. Elmore James/Shake Your Money
    (A) Various Artists/Antone's 20th Anniversary/Antones
43. Pinetop Perkins/Big Fat Mama/Antone's
44. Eddie Taylor/Big Town Playboy/Antone's
45. Snooky Pryor/Nine Below Zero/Antone's
46. Jimmy Rogers/Chicago Bound/Antone's
47. James Cotton/How Long Can A Bell Ring/Antone's
48. Teddy Morgan/Going Back Home/Antone's

    AUGUST 29, 2004
       HOUR 1
 1. Gary U.S. Bonds/School Is In/Rhino
 2. Chuck Berry/School Days/Chess MCA
 3. Mississippi Fred McDowell/Good Morning Little School Girl/Capital
 3*.    Anson Funderburgh & The Rockets/I'm Your Professor/Black Top
 4. Dinah Washington/Long John Blues/Mercury
 5. Dinah Washington/Short John/Mercury
 6. Dinah Washington/Good Daddy Blues/Mercury
 7. Dinah Washington/Baby Get Lost/Mercury
 8. Dinah Washington/Fine Fine Daddy/Mercury
 9. Dinah Washington/Please Send Me Someone To Love/Mercury
10. Guy Davis/When You Got A Good Friend/Red House
11. Chris Thomas King/Soon This Morning Blues/Black Top
12. Ray & Glover/Tell Me Mama/Tim-Kerr
13. Rory Block/I Let My Daddy Do That/Rounder
14. Catfish Keith/Cool Can Of Beer/Fish Tail
15. The Sam Lay Blues Band/River City's Jumpin'/Appaloosa
       HOUR 2
16. Jimmy Thackery And The Drivers/Doin' 100/Blind Pig
17. Tinsley Ellis & The Heartfixers/Tulane/Alligator
18. Jimmy Vaughn/Boom-Bapa Boom/Epic
19. Al Green/Tired Of Being Alone/Hi
20. Wilson Pickett/Don't Fight It/Atlantic
21. Solomon Burke/Tonight's The Night/Atlantic
22. Ray Charles/That's Enough/Atlantic
23. Sam Cooke/Lost And Lookin'/abkco
24. Aretha Franklin/Baby I Love You/Atlantic
25. Maxine Brown/Baby Cakes/Charly
26. Ike & Tina/He's The One/Ace
27. The Impressions/Talking About My Baby/Rhino
28. Memphis Slim/Raining The Blues/Fantasy
29. Elmore James/Please Find My Baby/Rhino
30. John Lee Hooker/Talk That Talk/VeeJay
31. John Lee Hooker/My First Wife Left Me/VeeJay
32. Muddy Waters/Tiger In Your Tank/Chess MCA
33. Muddy Waters/I Feel So Good/Chess MCA
34. Little Milton/Feel So Bad/Chess
35. Jimmy Reed/Bright Lights, Big City/Vee-Jay
       HOUR 3
36. Albert Collins/Same Old Thing/Point Blank
37. John Primer/Stop Draggin' That Chain Around/Code Blue
38. Eddie "Blues Man" Kirkland/I Tried/Fantasy
39. Luther "Guitar" Johnson/Whiskey Drinkin' Woman/Bullseye
40. The Butterfield Blues Band/Screamin'/Electra
41. Michael Bloomfield & Al Kooper/Mary Ann/Columbia
42. James Cotton/No Cuttin' Loose/Alligator
43. Koko Taylor/That's Why I'm Crying/Alligator
44. Little Charlie & the Night Cats/Rain/Alligator
45. Charlie Musselwhite/Leaving Your Town/Alligator
46. Carey Bell & Junior Wells/Second Hand Man/Alligator
47. Big Twist & The Mellow Fellows/300 Pounds Of Heavenly Joy/Alligator
48. Lonnie Brooks/Eyeballin'/Alligator
49. Pinetop Perkins/Blues After Hours/Alligator

BLUE MONDAY: 6:00 - 7:00 Monday, August 23 and 30, 2004
Hosted by Mark Halverson.  The same repeat show -- from June 20, 2004, was
used on both Aug. 23 & 30.

      ARTIST / SONG TITLE / LABEL (A) = album title
    (A) Sonnyboy Williamson/The Essential Sonnyboy Williamson/Chess-MCA
 1. Sonnyboy Williamson/Cool Disposition/Chess-MCA
 2. Sonnyboy Williamson/Checkin' Up On My Baby/Chess-MCA
 3. Sonnyboy Williamson/Temperature 110/Chess-MCA
 4. Sonnyboy Williamson/Trust My Baby/Chess-MCA
 5. Sonnyboy Williamson/Too Young To Die/Chess-MCA
 6. Sonnyboy Williamson/One Way Out/Chess-MCA
 7. Sonnyboy Williamson/Help Me/Chess-MCA
 8. Sonnyboy Williamson/Bye Bye Bird/Chess-MCA
    (A) Deitra Farr/The Search Is Over/JSP
 9. Deitra Farr/Anywhere But Here/JSP
10. Deitra Farr/Bad Company/JSP
11. Deitra Farr/I Refuse To Lose/JSP
12. Deitra Farr/How Much Longer/JSP
    (A) Mojo Watson/Inheritance/Watashea
13. Mojo Watson/This Is A Cold Cruel World/Watashea
14. Mojo Watson/We're Going Down/Watashea
15. Mojo Watson/Casey Jones' Last Ride/Watashea

BLUES BREAK: Monday - Friday 11:30 - Noon.
Hosted by Mark Halverson.   This two week period saw all new release previews
except for August 17 which was a birthday tribute to Luther and August 24
which was a birthday tribute to Arthur, with his sons providing the music.

      ARTIST / SONG TITLE / LABEL (A) = album title
    AUGUST 17 - AUGUST 23
    TUESDAY, AUGUST 17
    (A) Luther Allison/Live In Chicago/Alligator
 1. Luther Allison/Soul Fixin' Man/Alligator
 2. Luther Allison/Cherry Red Wine/Alligator
 3. Luther Allison/Bad Love/Alligator
 4. Luther Allison/It Hurts Me Too/Alligator
    WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 18
    (A) Craig Horton/Touch Of The Bluesman/Bad Daddy
 5. Craig Horton/Find Another Fool/Bad Daddy
 6. Craig Horton/Life Of Luxury/Bad Daddy
 7. Craig Horton/Burnin'/Bad Daddy
 8. Craig Horton/Damn Money/Bad Daddy
 9. Craig Horton/Serves Me Right To Suffer/Bad Daddy
10. Craig Horton/Wanda Jean/Bad Daddy
11. Craig Horton/Ain't Gonna Take It/Bad Daddy
12. Craig Horton/Lovestruck/Bad Daddy
    THURSDAY, AUGUST 19
    (A) The Groove Hogs/White Lies/Pixel Max
13. The Groove Hogs/Soul Infatuation/Pixel Max
14. The Groove Hogs/Long Gone/Pixel Max
15. The Groove Hogs/Stop Pushin' On Me/Pixel Max
16. The Groove Hogs/I'll Be On My Way/Pixel Max
17. The Groove Hogs/Blind Man/Pixel Max
18. The Groove Hogs/Got TO Get My Groove Back/Pixel Max
    FRIDAY, AUGUST 20
    (A) Big Mama Thorton/With The Muddy Waters Blues Band/Arhoolie
19. Big Mama Thorton/I'm Feeling Alright/Arhoolie
20. Big Mama Thorton/Sometimes I Have A Heartache/Arhoolie
21. Big Mama Thorton/Black Rat/Arhoolie
22. Big Mama Thorton/Everything Gonna Be Alright/Arhoolie
23. Big Mama Thorton/Gimme A Penny/Arhoolie
24. Big Mama Thorton/Looking The World Over/Arhoolie
25. Big Mama Thorton/I Feel The Way I Feel/Arhoolie
26. Big Mama Thorton/Wrapped Tight/Arhoolie
27. Big Mama Thorton/Big Mama's Blues/Arhoolie
    MONDAY, AUGUST 23
    (A) South Side Slim/Trouble On The South Side/SS
28. South Side Slim/intro/SS
29. South Side Slim/Blue Rain/SS
30. South Side Slim/V-8 Ford/SS
31. South Side Slim/Funky Chicken/SS
32. South Side Slim/Trouble On The South Side/SS

    AUGUST 24 - 30
    TUESDAY, AUGUST 24
    (A) Crudup Brothers/Franktown Blues/Warehouse Creek
 1. Crudup Brothers/That's All right Mama/Warehouse Creek
 2. Crudup Brothers/Greyhound Bus/Warehouse Creek
 3. Crudup Brothers/Mean Old Frisco Blues/Warehouse Creek
 4. Crudup Brothers/When Love Is On His Knees/Warehouse Creek
 5. Crudup Brothers/Old and Gray/Warehouse Creek
 6. Crudup Brothers/Malibu-Jammin For James/Warehouse Creek
    WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 25
    (A) Elliot and the Untouchables/Voodoo Stew/BluePoint
 7. Elliot and the Untouchables/Get What You Need/BluePoint
 8. Elliot and the Untouchables/Red Hot, Got Me Burnin'/BluePoint
 9. Elliot and the Untouchables/Drive Them Blues Away/BluePoint
10. Elliot and the Untouchables/Shell Of A Man/BluePoint
11. Elliot and the Untouchables/Bottle Of Blues/BluePoint
12. Elliot and the Untouchables/Voodoo Stew/BluePoint
    THURSDAY, AUGUST 25
    (A) Ray Bonneville/Roll It Down/Red House
13. Ray Bonneville/Tomorrow's Yesterday/Red House
14. Ray Bonneville/Under The Bridge/Red House
15. Ray Bonneville/July Sun/Red House
16. Ray Bonneville/Roll It Down/Red House
17. Ray Bonneville/Who's Talkin' To Me/Red House
18. Ray Bonneville/Stand Real Still/Red House
19. Ray Bonneville/You Know What I Mean/Red House
20. Ray Bonneville/I Been A Train/Red House
    FRIDAY, AUGUST 26
    (A) Mavis Staples/Have A Little Faith/Alligator
21. Mavis Staples/Step Into The Night/Alligator
22. Mavis Staples/Pop's Recipe/Alligator
23. Mavis Staples/Have A Little Faith/Alligator
24. Mavis Staples/I Still Believe In You/Alligator
25. Mavis Staples/I Wanna Thank You/Alligator
26. Mavis Staples/There's A Devil On The Loose/Alligator
27. Mavis Staples/In Times Like These/Alligator
    MONDAY, AUGUST 30
    (A) Paul Filipowicx/Chinatown/Big Jake
28. Paul Filipowicx/Jackson Transfer /Big Jake
29, Paul Filipowicx/Chinatown/Big Jake
30. Paul Filipowicx/Who Loves You/Big Jake
31. Paul Filipowicx/Wichita Falls/Big Jake
32. Paul Filipowicx/Too Hot To BoogieNightclubbing/Big Jake

HOST COMMENTS:
    I was in California (and briefly in Oregon) for several days,
encompassing much of the programming for this period.  This is the reason for the doubled
up playlist report. Gary filled in for the "big show" and some reruns also
helped out.  I managed to catch Hamilton Loomis, Watermelon Slim and Roomful of
Blues in my club crawling.
    Around here for blues, we have Kent DuChaine at the Sugar Room and Don
Scott at the Wine Cafe tonight.  Riverblast in New Ulm starts tonight with a
couple of acts I don't know much about.  Tomorrow there is some blues there, with
Blue Max making a long overdue return to New Ulm and also the Tin Box Kings.
There is a lot of river-related events there, as well.
    Next week, Corey Harris is at Halling Hall on the campus of MSUM, on
Thursday, Sept. 9, at 7:30 PM.  He is on the cutting edge of modern blues.  And
next weekend we have the Rock Bend Folk Festival in St. Peter, well known as my
birthplace and childhood home.  We'll preview those events on this week's
Blues Before Monday.  By the way, Rock Bend Folk Festival founder Ross Gersten
says he will be moving back to Mankato in time to catch this years festival,
claiming to have given up on his east coast pursuits of the past few years.  I
rightfully or not claim some credit for the founding of the event, as Ross was on
his way to my bar in NW Wisconsin when he got a calling to start the
festival.  Checkout Rockbend.org for all the info you'd care to have about that event.