Trying to bring closure to the Jimmy Rogers Headstone controversy

Andy Allu Silkcitycd@aol.com
Fri Sep 3 10:10:52 EDT 2004

In a message dated 9/3/2004 9:31:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
maddog_productions@hotmail.com writes:
Wanda King goes through this exact same thing regarding her father Freddie.
As a matter of fact, I believe it was Wanda's lawsuit against Roy Ames that
led to the Texas Appellate Court ruling (Tx and King v. Ames) that determined
that use of someone's name or image for any "exploitive purpose" (i.e.related
to money) requires agreement in advance from the artist or his/her estate...
While it has so far been limited to owners of master recordings, I believe it
is the type of case law that lawyers LOVE to cite as precedent for all kinds of
new law.  Ames, by the way, lost the case, which I also believe involved the
Estate of Juke Boy Bonner.

Andy Allu
Silk City Records
http://www.silkcitycd.com/