Trying to bring closure to the Jimmy Rogers Headstone controversy

Lisa Kelly maddog_productions@hotmail.com
Fri Sep 3 09:02:16 EDT 2004

Wanda King goes through this exact same thing regarding her father Freddie.

Lisa A Kelly
MadDog Productions
Dallas, Texas

From: BluesMgtGroup@aol.com
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Subject: Re: Trying to bring closure to the Jimmy Rogers Headstone
    controversy
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 05:22:08 EDT

Damon/DME4music@aol.com Writes:

Tom, maybe it was arrogant of the Blindman and others to assume the family
couldn't get it right the first time.  However, you did at times step out of
your professional bounds by insulting others.

Does anyone really have to get  your permission, or even the family's, to
raise money for a cause?

OK Damon ... I guess I am just too lame to to figure out where I "stepped
out
of my PROFESSIONAL BOUNDS by insulting others". Where were the insults ?
Produce them.
Secondly - Your damn right you'd better get the permission of the surviving
family members or the person who repped the man for nearly 25 years (myself)
if
you want to use that artists name to raise money for whatever cause. No
matter how nobel the cause might be. I am flabbergasted at the small number
of
people who seem to get it when it comes to using an artists name, his image,
his
likeness or his music to raise money without consulting the family. You
sound
like Carl Rove spinning John Kerry into a demon because he dared protest the
Mai li Massacres. Don't twist the words. The case has been stated pure and
simple.
     What do you think Dick Waterman would say if one of his pictures was
used
of Son House to raise money for whatever cause ?
     I have been "stepping out of my professional Bounds" for 36 years
trying
to protect the underdogs in this game and I will continue to do it. My skin
is
a little thicker then it was when I started in this game in the 1960's and I
am not afraid to step on some  toes if it has to be done.
     I can not tell who is sincere and who is not and I am not psychic
enough
to know if the cause is truely nobel. After all is said and done with this
situation it now "seems" like the cause was nobel and well meaning. That
being
said, it is still the proper thing to do when utilizing an artists name for
whatever purpose that you should check for that. The late Dorothy Lane
(Jimmy's
widow) her late Daughter Marilyn and surviving daughter Angela Lane
personally
asked me to try and stay on top of these things and I do my damnest to do
it.
     At the risk of sounding "arrogant" since I have only been on this list
for a few years I think there is a fairly good number of people who are
aware of
my past and present talent roster. When I get called on the phone by one
person who "seems" sincere and who seems to be taking the right steps to
check
things out and then  go on the Blues-L only to discover that things were
already
started seem pretty well along and that the call seemed  mearly a token
gesture or that someone thought they were "playing me" I will respond
swiftly and
you can count on it being harsh.
Sincerely,
Tom Radai