Trying to bring closure to the Jimmy Rogers Headstone controversy

BluesMgtGroup@aol.com BluesMgtGroup@aol.com
Fri Sep 3 03:34:26 EDT 2004

    First off to the person who maintains I attacked him (Billy Allardyce aka
"The Blindman" )We have never spoken on the phone about the Jimmy Rogers
Headstone situation or any other topic. That is unless you have another alias I am
not aware of. We did have a cordial Email exchange a few weeks ago but it had
nothing to do with Jimmy's headstone. Where is the attack Email where I
attacked you ? I did speak with another fellow about the Headstone situation
(unless that is your other alias) and that conversation started out cordial and I
did tell that person I would discuss this with the family even though I did
inform him that this was how Jimmy spelled his name on two passports that I
handled. 10 year duration on each passport. This person persisted in the
conversation and I finally told him I would discuss it with the family and get back to
him. I immediatly called the family and they thought the entire situation was
over the top and out of line and pretty silly. My plan at that time was to call
this fellow back the next day and tell him the family wanted the situation
ended and wanted the headstone situation  ended. I thought for sure that all
concerned would quietly respect the wishes of the family. An hour later I went on
the internet to do my nightly perusal of Blues-L only to discover that
fund-raising had already apparently started. The "impression" given by the posts was
that $200 was collected by one group and $300 by another. In a post from you
(Blindman) I received an Email saying that no funds had been sent and that only
"pledges" to give money to what SEEMED TO BE  a nobel cause. I can only take
you at your word that physical money did not change hands. If it did I would
hope you would be honorable enough to return the money to the donars..
    Here , however, is the bottom line and what blew my top. By initiating
some sort of fund-raising activity (weather money was really exchanged or not
but "pledges" given is still an activity that used Jimmy's name. You and the
other fellow I have spoken to have accused me of "attacking" each of you, acting
in an "over the top" manner and being "arrogant" about it. I guess I have
worked a little too long in a business where I feel the underdog needs someone to
give them a hand now and then. No matter how rich you think Jimmy might have
been after the Stones and Clapton stuff. This ,of course, you ,your co-horts
and most Blues fans have no idea what the inside story on this matter really is.
Let's take this point by point. 1) Find the Email where I personally attacked
you. 2)I tried to let you off easy with minimal embarrasement by not naming
you since I still felt you probably were well meaning but had clearly
over-stepped your bounds by initiating fund-raising (weather actual money had changed
hands or not is incidental) without the family or myself being consulted. I was
really ticked off when I got the call by your co-hort who sounded sincere but
who obviously also had initiated fund-raising before I discussed it with the
family. If that is not arrogance I don't know what is. I learned that things
were already rolling along with you guys an hour later when I went on Blues-L.
Where is the respect for the family and where is the respect for their
wishes??? I ask you that. You are calling my rant "over the top and arrogant". What
do we call your routine when I explained to you that this was how his name was
on two of Jimmy's passports. Some of us in the business call that the
"plantation mentality". It is the height of arrogance to assume that Jimmy's widow and
daughters couldn't get it right but you guys did. Yea...call ME arrogant.
    That is all I really have to say on the topic and it is my hope this
situation (which might have started as well intentioned....MAYBE) but somehow
seemed to get out of control...can now fade into the background.
    I care not to engage in a battle of witts with an unarmed man.
Sincerely,
Tom Radai
The Blues Mgt. Group