American Folk Blues Festival Vol 3

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@p-dub.com
Thu Sep 2 17:14:29 EDT 2004

Holy smoke!  There are not many things that could distract me from
Hurricane Francis bearing down on me.  The DVD - American Folk Blues
Festival 1962 - 1969 Vol 3 appears to be one of those things.

I haven't replayed Vols. 1 & 2 but I sincerely believe that the video
quality on Vol 3 far exceeds the first two issues.  That being said, there
are treasures, regardless of video quality, here.  For instance - when I
listen to the Alligator recordings of Hound Dog Taylor, I picture a
grinning, drunk, or stoned, toothless guy, raucously playing boogie on a
distorted slide guitar.  That may be an accurate assumption, but on this
DVD we see a sober guy, in a fancy tux doing what needs to be done...
accompanying Little Walter... and accompanying an attractive young Koko
Taylor.  This DVD is chock full of similar treasures, in glorious transfers
from the original footage.

You can get there from here (http://bluesland.net/ABFDVD.htm) or you can
get there from anywhere else.  The important thing is that you get
there.  This edition (Vol 3) is as important as the others IF NOT MORE.

It may very well be that this was the nicest thing to happen to me in an
otherwise depressing day, or it is indeed as important a video as think it
is.  In any event, no real Blues fan will be disappointed.

P.W. Fenton
New Port Richey, FL
http://BluesLand.Net - A comprehensive network of Blues related resources