Louie Louie - From the drummer of the Wailers

Kate Hart katehart@speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 19 01:19:19 EDT 2004

Steve Peterson sent this on to me....he is the drummer for the Wailers.

Richard Berry, the composer of the song, was the first to record it. Little
Bill was the first Northwest artist to record it and right after that, The
Wailers. The Kingsmen and Paul Revere recorded it the same week in 1963.
They're still not sure who was first. The Kingsmen were trying their best to
sound like the Wailers, Rich's solo and all. Mike just added lots of clams
that the kids tried to copy. he he he.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kate Hart [mailto:katehart@speakeasy.net]
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 1:31 PM
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Subject: Just heard from Bill Englehardt

Here is Bill's version:

It's true. I was recording the song at a studio in Seattle. Buck came by
and ask what I was doing. I told him, he went back to the Wailers and
beat me to the punch. My version was closer to the original. It now is on
display at EMP. Buck and I are still good friends. Bill

Little Bill & the Blue Notes
www.havemusic.com/littlebill