Eric Clapton (and Pat Boone)

Leonard D Watkins ldw@uab.edu
Mon May 17 10:39:48 EDT 2004

I hear him but what I meant is I don't buy his stuff cause I own the
originals. I have said before his newest cover CD the Robert Johnson
One is not note-for-note which is a good thing. I don't think NOT
listening
to EC is something to brag about nor is there anyone on this list or
anywhere that I feel the need to brag to. I don't give a rats behind
what anyone thinks, I have no desire to impress anyone so bragging ain't
coming from me. I don't know who plays with him on the above CD but I
know
on the blues cd that there was NO Pinetop, NO Carey Bell-James Cotton,
NO WilliE Smith, NO Calvin Fraizer...etc, I suspect it was the same non
blues musicians he always uses So he ain't spreading the wealth with the
blues musicians, expect maybe Jerry Portnoy

Clapton is definitely a GREAT guitar player

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Salmon [mailto:billsalmon4@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 9:01 AM
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Subject: Re: Eric Clapton (and Pat Boone)

"I don't keep up with Clapton too much so please tell
me the last time he did an original blues tune that he
did not copy."

his current cd "riding with mr. johnson".

i think what bothers me a lot about the clapton thread
is that those who don't particularly care for him, and
believe me, i have no problem with that, there are a
lot of performers whose music i don't particularly
care for, is that they don't even listen to him, yet
express opinions on his music.

how is this possible? (i sure can't bring myself to
comment on performers i don't follow.)

how can you comment on someone's music when you admit
(brag?) that you don't LISTEN to it?

just as an aside about his new cd. does he copy note
for note? no. does he express and define the music
with his own style, giving new life to old standards?
yes. does he honor one of his idols? yes.

and, he spreads the wealth. look at the lineup in
dallas. look at who plays with him on the above cd.

so, i guess what i am trying to say is: if you don't
particularly care for him, that is fine, but please
don't keep dunning us with your misperceptions of his
music.

he has probably done as much for the blues and any
popularity it may currently have as anyone in the
world.

how about we show him the respect of discussing him
from an informed perspective instead of stereotypical
notions of him and his music.

thank you

(btw: i am really hoping that he and jj do cocaine...
uhh the song... lol... together in dallas.)

bill salmon

http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/

Archives & web interface:
http://lists.netspace.org/archives/blues-l.html
NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc.
http://www.lsoft.com
BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org