dinosaur...seque to shameless promotion

Joel Fritz willie_mctell@comcast.net
Fri May 14 15:05:39 EDT 2004

Dick Waterman wrote:
> In a message dated 5/14/04 12:55:33 PM, BluescopeMusic@aol.com writes:
>

>>the best modern artists are those that are like a living encyclopedia of
>>blues performers...meaning
>>they can call upon styles and sounds from the past that collectively along
>>with his own experiences and musical talent inspire him to craft his own
>>mark.
>>

> If this true (and I happen to agree with you), then why do people hate Eric
> Clapton so much?
>
> Dick Waterman
> Oxford, MS
> www.dickwaterman.com

Well, he's pretty wealthy. <g>

Seriously, while I think his singing is sincere sounding but terrible, I
like his guitar playing.  He never sounds to me like he's just recycling
OP licks.  His playing is derivative--whose isn't, but he never tries to
copy anything.  His attack and use of dynamics always sound musical to
me and he knows how to put the things he knows together in an
interesting way.

How much can you fault Blind Boy Fuller _and_ Sonny Terry for sounding
like Buddy Moss?

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the web.
That's me.