Just the way it is?

Terence McArdle Jtmcardle@cs.com
Mon May 10 02:52:33 EDT 2004

I'm glad to hear it. That doesn't change my suspicion that women blues performers probably draw better than male performers though because they draw a lot more women to their gigs.

I don't think it is any secret that women probably identify more with women performers (and record companies market accordingly). And that's really all I was trying to say -- in my very inept way. I might add that record companies now recognize this in rock music as they mass market "Women Who Rock". Go to hear Shemekia Copeland, Tedeschi, or Marcia Ball and there's a line around the block and as many, if not more, women in the house. Go to hear a comparable male performer and you might as well be at an Elk's Lodge. That's my experience in Washington, D.C. I don't claim to know about the rest of the country.

I had to turn all but one of the women I've ever dated onto blues music.  Futhermore, girl friends over the years have complained about the anti-women bent of lyrics by most male blues singers. Now they actually like some of the double entendres ("Take out your false teeth Daddy, your Mama wants to scratch your jaws"). But the lyrics that have a threat of violence or deal with pimping and whoring really bug them. (I don't blame them.) And go back through your records of T-Bone, B.B., and Muddy; there are quite a few of those songs. Finally, the women I know who date musicians always gripe about the peculiarly male aspects of the blues subculture like obsessing over vintage amps and axes or record collecting.

Terence