Timing of the Handys WAS Re: Dancers

Chip Eagle ceagle@visnat.com
Wed May 5 13:09:00 EDT 2004

I think things are a bit out of sync here suddenly. The BF did not go to the
CCC to avoid union labor or with the goal of going scab. Duh! As I
understand it, the Orpheum was not available for the dates they wanted. They
couldn't have booked there scab, union or slave. That was not a factor in
the decision. In fact I understand that they wanted to have it there and it
was not available. That is not that the high labor cost hasn't been a
contirbuting factor in the Handys running in the red in the past. It
certainly contributed and, like any business, cutting costs helps the bottom
line. But to relate the hardworking  folks at the BF to some bourgeois plot
to ruin the working class is purely ludicrous. To withdraw support from an
organization that is working to promote some fine ideals, and often
succedding, on such a basis is inane. "Gone scab," Jeez, where does that
come from?!

-----Original Message-----
From: Blues Music List [mailto:BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG]On Behalf Of
bluesfantom
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 8:12 AM
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Subject: Re: Timing of the Handys WAS Re: Dancers

> This paragraph is really misleading. I work backstage at a venue that's 4
> times larger than the Orpheum and the facts for hours and cost don't add
up. The
> foundation could have looked elsewhere to make a profit instead of putting
10
> guys to work for 6 hours at $20 an hour one day a year.
>
> Patti
> www.southwestblues.com

Doesn't add up in a lot of ways.  But then, bashing unions is kind of a
thing to do anyway; toss in a fantastic number from some karma, just to make
it look good, and, well, voi la!  I have no idea what's in their contract,
but I'm certain the 17 union stagehands have the straight eight hour shift
by contract, and then, maybe progressively like every two hours more, pile
on the money.  8 AM to 4 AM is a long stretch for anyone.  On a straight
eight graveyard shift, right around 3:30 to 4 AM I've seen many a stout
person break down and cry like a baby when they realize they ain't done yet
(we're not talking party time here either).  Of course, if we use McJob,
with McWages, that is, go scab...or, what?  Maybe Chuck is suggesting these
working stiffs should donate their time?  It's the blues, right?  Would you
do that with your photos?  Let's do away with the middle class altogether.
Well, enough of that.  Myself, I wasn't too impressed with how the old BF
was mismanaged, and now that I see it's gone scab, I know I don't want a
thing to do with it.  To blame a local is rubbish.  Typical, but still
rubbish.

Tom Marion
Trustee/Steward
Local #338, IEAL APWU proudly affiliated with the AFL-CIO

UnoBlues@aol.com

http://www.lsoft.com
BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org

BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org