NBC: N.I.S.T. gives me The Blues

P.W. Fenton pfenton@tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jan 24 09:35:26 EST 2004

I just learned about an important new, and free, resource.  The National
Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has released an excellent 50
page guide on the care and handling of CDs and DVDs for long term
storage.  It talks about the effects of light, moisture, radiation,
scratches, marking, adhesive labels, and even playback on the discs., and
the verdict is not very good.  It seems that many of us have been doing all
the wrong things to our recordable CDs and DVDs.  I know I have.  Many of
those fancy home published CDs we've burned, labeled, packaged and sold may
be useless in only 5 years.

You can download free .pdf versions of this booklet from...
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc/index.html

This may turn out to be the most effective argument yet against downloading
(legal or otherwise) as none of these premature disk deaths effect the
manufactured discs, only the ones we burn ourselves.

P.W. Fenton
New Port Richey, FL
http://BluesLand.Net - A comprehensive network of Blues related resources

Dick Waterman's Blues Photo T-Shirts http://p-dub.com/Jinx/