synch rights for concert video?

lisa@owlsnestmusic.com lisa@owlsnestmusic.com
Wed Jan 14 20:59:40 EST 2004

Hi fellow Zellers,

I have a question for you regarding synchronization rights. Our label,
Owl's Nest Records, is considering producing a DVD of an upcoming concert.
 The music will consist of our live performances of previously released
popular copyrighted materials.  Has anyone out there had experience with
this kind of release?  Examples I have on my shelf include Uppity Women,
Richie Havens, etc., that have done something like this. What we are
concerned with is, did you have to get synchronization licenses to use the
compositions and what glitches, if any, did you experience?  Did you hire
an attorney or do it yourselves?  What was the approximate cost for
obtaining such rights? I appreciate your feedback.

By the way, if any of you will be in Memphis for IBC or Bluesfirst in
January, two of our artists, Kathleen Williamson and Lisa Otey, will be
performing in the Solo/Duo competition. Hope to see you there!

Thanks,
Lisa Otey
www.owlsnestmusic.com