From Bluesman Charles Brown, A Double Shot of Sophistication

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@p-dub.com
Wed Jan 7 21:40:08 EST 2004

At 03:56 PM 1/7/2004 -0500, Chamberlin.Johnb@epamail.epa.gov wrote...
>  Thankfully, Washington attorney Howell Begle rescued the film and,
>after much convoluted technological transformation, has brought it to
>light again with "Charles Brown: A Life in the Blues" (Rounder).

Funny you should bring this up.  The day after Christmas I was channel
surfing on a widescreen Hi-Def TV, and on a channel called "INHD" I
stumbled upon Charles Brown, in glorious high definition widescreen,
playing Merry Christmas Baby".  Besides the stunning picture I was struck
by two things... He was playing without his hat on, something I hadn't ever
seen before, and his piano playing was the best I've ever heard from him
ever.  It was goosebump time.  If this is what is on that DVD, and I can't
imagine there existing more than one High Definition recording of him, I
highly recommend it.  I'm serious about the playing.  I've always loved his
playing, but here he sounded like Oscar Peterson.   Of course there was no
information given about the performance at all.  It just went on to some
other Christmas song by some other artist.

P.W. Fenton
New Port Richey, FL
http://BluesLand.Net - A comprehensive network of Blues related resources

Dick Waterman's Blues Photo T-Shirts http://p-dub.com/Jinx/