hacksaw harney

Joel Fritz willie_mctell@comcast.net
Sun Jan 4 15:47:09 EST 2004

I just got my Hacksaw Harney cd and I've listened to 9 of 10 cuts.  He was a
monster.  These tunes were recorded when he was nearly 70 and had had a
minor stroke the year before.  Some of the articulation isn't perfect.  Even
so it's every bit as interesting as Blind Blake or Rev. Gary Davis.  Some
ragtime players played a damped bass, some played an alternating bass.
Harney did some of both, but he also played counterpoint.  I could go on,
but I think you ought to listen to Harney instead of me.

Barrelhouse Solly says:  "Check it out."