Delta Moon

Walter Potter wpotter@garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Mon Oct 27 08:45:20 EST 2003

I got to see Delta Moon play last Friday night. Good band. Their sound
is modern but with obvious respect for the founders of the blues. Two
very goods slide players and a very animated female vocalist plus a
solid rhythm section. What I didn't know until recently was that one of
the slide players (& pianist) is Tom Gray who led the Eighties rock (New
Wave ?) outfit, The Brains and wrote the excellent "Money Changes
Everything" that was taken to the MTV crowd by Cyndi Lauper
<javascript:z('Baev1z88ajyv1')>.  I had only heard their first CD before
the show and was a bit surprised that they were louder (but not too
loud) and slicker (but not too slick) than I had anticipated. They were
a nice folks and seemed to be having real fun playing.

They played a fair amount of originals and had some very interesting
takes on the songs they covered. Imagine "Wang Dang Doodle" played slow,
almost like a dirge. At the end of the song they had all switched to
percussion (including parts of the drum kit that they disassembeled)
quietly chanting "All night long" for several minutes.
--
maxdog