BESSIE SMITH: portrait of a blues great

Jay Watterworth watterwo@sobek.colorado.edu
Fri Oct 10 19:49:01 EDT 2003

yeah, but the other article at this site:

Why rock guys get all the girls
October 11, 2003
For years, scientists have pondered why attractive women throw themselves
at rock stars and not, well, scientists. It's about the music, writes
Nicholas Wade.

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Fred Dabney wrote:

> > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/09/1065676092112.html
>
> She was /my/ gateway to the blues.  I was about 12, it was
> 1950 or so.  I didn't quite get it at first but within a year I
> was looking for her reissues myself.
>
> And she and her ilk are why I don't get excited about the
> bulk of the electric rock/blues I hear all the time.  Early
> exposure to the real thing can spoil one's taste for shoddy
> imitations...
>
> Fred D.

> NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc.   http://www.lsoft.com

Jay Watterworth
Department of Sociology
University of Colorado at Boulder

Nora Ephron said (about Washington politics, but apropos here), "No
matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."

"If music be the food of love, play on. Give me excess of that."
William Shakespeare, "Twelfth Night"