The whole PBS series/A coment

BluesMgtGroup@aol.com BluesMgtGroup@aol.com
Fri Oct 10 02:02:48 EDT 2003

Writes Dominic Forcella a wise man in these parts, about the PBS series:

>It may not have reached the expectations of Blues-l

To do that, we would need a microscopic examination of the history of
the blues, going back to pre-slavery days in Africa.

We would need mentions of every single blues artist who ever made a
record, and a few who didn't, with film clips (esp. Jimmy Rogers and
anyone else folk round here missed). We would need complete film
clips of each song.

The BluesMgtgroup@aol.com/Tom Radai writes:

"A real wise man knows the difference between every Blues artist who ever
recorded and Jimmy Rogers". A real wise man also knows the contributions of
Jimmy Rogers vs. The life and times of Marshall Chess and the Electric Mud scam
and the obvious ground work be laid for commercial reasons". " A wise man would
also know that only a few clips of Jimmy Rogers would be needed (plenty were
available and I have them from the 1970's - 90's) Someone who is wise and
truely appreciates the contributions of Jimmy Rogers would have have wanted to see
him included rather then SOME what was included. Jimmy was not "every Bluesman
that ever recorded" but your post seems to give that impression. I hope I am
misreading something and that I am wrong in what I am seeing and reading.
Perhaps I am. I hope I am. If I am reading it right I have no words to discribe
your post in a civilized manner. Obviously Jimmy Rogers was mentioned for a
reason and I start to wonder who on this list might have the Psuedo name of
Repogel.

We would need interviews with every blues artist still alive (just
the black ones, thanks - none o' those pale-faced pretenders).

The BluesMgtgroup@aol.com/Tom Radai writes:
There were and are a handful of great white Blues artists but the truely
memorable ones were black.

We would need talking heads - again, black ones please (is Wynton
Marsalis avaailable?) - discussing the sociological importance of the
Black American diaspora in relationship to the ambitions of rural
bluesmen transplanted into urban environments.

The BluesMgtgroup@aol.com/Tom Radai writes:
The Ken Burns documentary is looking better and better every day.

We would need a feminist input into the lyrical structures of songs
like, say, "Hoochie Coochie Man."

The BluesMgtgroup@aol.com/Tom Radai writes:
By chance are you a friend of Karl Rove?

Ah, as some other wise man said, ya just can't please all the people
all the time.

The BluesMgtgroup@aol.com/Tom Radai writes:
You are right ya can't please everyone but as the old saying goes "the devil
is in the details". The PBS series had some good segments, some mediocre
segments and  a  couple of clunkers. The big question is Will it do any good for
the betterment of Blues?I guess the jury will be out for some time on that one.
Tom Radai

Which way to the egress?

Cheers,

Richard