a little help from my friends

Glynn, Dave glynn@lbpc.com
Thu Oct 2 10:04:59 EDT 2003

Stew,

If she's got that Ethel Merman type "show" voice, what about Koko Taylor,
Ruth Brown and Etta James?  They can really belt it and so may she.
Phrasing is probably the biggest hurdle she's going to come across.  Most
classically trained singers have great difficulty sounding hip, they tend to
lengthen the notes and enunciate too much to sing the Blues.  You may want
to transition her through old Rosemary Clooney recordings (more jazz than
blues) - now she had some great phrasing and she was pretty hip for her
time.

mad doctor dave
http://www.emptycanband.com

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:45:19 -0700
From:    Blue Stew <mail@bluestew.com>
Subject: a little help from my friends

OK, I've got this actress/singer friend of mine and she wants to "learn
to sing some blues", she is use to singing show tunes and musicals.
I've been singing the blues for many years but don't even know where to
begin to show her.
There is so much material out there.  Do I tell her to get Dinah
Washington cds...Bonnie Raitt...Big Mama Thornton?  I don't wanna get
anything too difficult and scare her away.  Open for suggestions.
mike