The Blues part 3 - aka the Bobby Rush Show

Walter Potter maxdog-blues-l@comcast.net
Wed Oct 1 00:38:06 EDT 2003

In one show Bobby takes you from down home country blues to a more
modern funked up blues. Maybe the funked up part with the synth doesn't
meet his criteria. Maybe it's the show aspect with the booty dancers.
Whatever anyone wants to label it, it is pure Chitlin Circuit stuff.

If all you've seen of Bobby is his festival show, then you've missed a
lot of what he can do. I sat in Dave's CC Club in Tallahassee with all
of about twelve people watching Bobby do three full sets. He blew a lot
more harp that night. I'll never forget it.

Speaking of Dave's CC, BB King flew into town some years back to visit
his daughter at FCI (prison) and asked somebody along the way where he
could hear some blues. They told him about Dave's and he just dropped
in. You have to understand that Dave's CC, now the Bradfordville Blues
Club, is a juke joint at the end of a dirt road. Damn I wish I had been
there that night. I also heard tonight that he was once helicoptered up
across the Georgia line to JB's Barbeque. Must have been before his
vegitarian conversion.
--
maxdog