great B3 players - bass lines

Fred Dabney fdabney@nmsu.edu
Sat Jan 11 15:24:15 EST 2003

<<The cat I was talking about, Eddy Louiss uses
the pedal board like an independent bass,"walking
it" and playing it like a stand-up bass player
behind and under the rest of the instrument.>>

>>This is exactly the way Mr. Nardi plays.  I guess those that don't understand will have to see Toni and hear for yourselves what Fred and I are talking about.  However, the last i heard, the 3B with the special outlet needed to produce this "effect" may not be available at the IBC so it may be necessary to come to Hot Springs area to see/hear Toni Nardi.  (He can be found at Schapiro's on Wednesday nights and usually has gigs weekends around the area).  It requires a Hammond that has been altered with a special outlet jack, from what i understand that is not something that you'll find on standard issue 3Bs there for,  logically it would follow that since most 3Bs aren't equipped to produce that particular sound it would have to be an exception to the rule.

Chefo<<

Not being an organist, I can't speak to specifics, but from what my
ear tells me, most blues and jazz organists usually have the "swell"
and "diapason" stops set to the maximum.  The result is a sound
that throbs and tends to blur into a mass of sound.  Leslies tend
to exagerate the effect even more.

This is part of that church organ sound.

Mr. Louiss rather plays with stops set so each note is a crisp,
clear sound, amost like an electric bass save that it's far more
musical to my ear.

Perhaps Mr. Nardi uses this approach as well, I've not heard
him so can't say.  But since this is more a matter of stop
selection and individual technique I'd be surprised if it required
a special output jack to get it.

If I'm wrong, go to the back of the line.  You have a lot of
people there waiting to correct me on lots of things...

Fred D.