John Hurt's Cabin To Become Blues Tourist Stop

Christopher Burger cburger3001@YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 9 10:11:44 EST 2003

Thanks for the article on this legend, Chuck.

By the way, folks, I recently picked up the excellent CD compiling classic
work by Mississippi John Hurt called "Avalon Blues: The Complete 1928 (!)
Okeh Recordings" on Columbia / Sony's Legacy label. This 1996 disc is
beautifully put together as part of that essential "Roots 'n' Blues" series
with discs by Lonnie Johnson, Bukka White (phenomenal), Robert Johnson,
Memphis Minnie, etc. By '95, these CD's looked and sounded even better than
those earlier cds from '89-90, when it seemed there were almost as many Lps
and tapes pressed as on the still-new Compact disc format. (The later CD's
are thicker and have the "Okeh" imprint, with better looking liner notes
and photos.)

Immortal stuff! I noticed that Tower Records (if you have one near you)
tends to run sales on this series a couple of times a year, where you can
get them for about $7.99 each. I'm not so sure how much stock is left, so
get a move on, if you can swing it.

-CB