Atypical Blues CDs I HAVE to Rave Over
Mon Jan 6 03:42:09 EST 2003
Blues CDs I HAVE to Rave Over...
The following are the cream of the crop of the several hundred cds I bought
in the last few months... all are "10s" in my book. Buy with confidence. (I
like em all even better than the Precious Bryant.)
1. Roy Lee Johnson's "When I a guitar Plays The Blues" (Southern Tracks) --
this guy has it all. Amazing songwriting, guitar style and voice! He's my
new hero. This rivals the Little Milton below.
2. Walter Wolfman Washington "Get On Up" (Charly) -- His best and an
incredibly funky record. Beyond words how good this is. Transcends its own
genre. And I am very critical of Wolfman.
3. Guitar Gabriel "Music Maker Recordings Vol.1" -- I love this quiet
intimate and BLUE cd. Heartfelt, sad, and unusual arrangments.
4. Willie Kent "Coming Alive" (Blue Chicago) -- great sound quality.
Another very good W.K. New guitarist is exciting.
5. Byther Smith's "Smitty's Blues" (Black & Tan) --- Man this guy really hit
this one out of the ballpark! A must-purchase.
6. Little Milton "Guitar Man" (Malaco) -- Can't rave enough. Milton made a
record he may NEVER be able to top!
7. Tampa Red "Keep Jumping 1944-1952" (Wolf) -- Man o Man, If you buy only
ONE Tampa Red this week...!
8. Little Sonny "Blasting The Blues : Live in Japan" (Pvine) -- If there was
any justice in the world, this cat would be a billionaire. I'm serious.
Restarting his career is my new objective!
9. Chick Willis' "From The Heart and Soul" (Rock House) -- His best? Just
might be. Don't worry, no synths. "Oh, yeah-ha-ha... Have you ever se-en a
one-eyed woman crrrry..."
10. Blues As Big As Texas Volume 2 (Collectables) -- What a great collection
of obscure bluesmen. Surprisingly good.
Your Blues-L Diva,
NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
More information about the Blues-l