NBC: Baseball playoffs

Christopher Burger cburger3001@YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 17 10:52:03 EDT 2002

**** Small iota of blues content********

Tom,
Nope , there are no sour grapes here. You may have missed the spirit of
what I was saying. I may be a spoiled Yankee fan, but I do think it's good
for baseball to have other teams in the mix - and yes, to do something
about the economics of the game one day. I'm disappointed that it's an all-
California series, as having St. Louie in there might have been more
interesting - the Cards have a great heritage, too. The Angels may
be "Cinder-Fella" but then I'm biased against "new" teams like the
Mariners ...or the Pilots, for that matter. But I suppose they earned it.

Anyway, I was merely pointing out that it is quite apparent that the San
Francisco Giants should be viewed as the relatively-young team they are,
given the bitter feelings left among Giant and Dodger fans when both teams
headed west in late fifties. Rightfully, they should have changed their
names. Los Angeles (Trolley) Dodgers, anyone?

As someone reminded me off-list, Mays, Marichial and McCovey quickly gave
the team a new(er) heritage, so San Francisco has certainly made its mark.
But as for the ill-will or non-allegiance of (former) Giant fans (most now
senior citizens, admittedly), I can't make this up.

What I was saying about the Mets and original Giants is factually-accurate.
Not only did the Mets inherit the National League-fan base of NYers who
formerly rooted for the Dodgers and Giants (and bitterly hated the Yanks,
by the way), but the Mets' uniforms were a literally a blend of both teams'
old uniforms, especially the old New York Giants, from the
interlocking "NY" on the caps, to the "New York" on the away uniforms.

Having just gotten around to renting Ken Burns' mult-part documentary
called "Baseball" (see it this winter if you haven't), I was reminded how
much the old NY Giants looked like Mets, especially in black & white.

Incidentally, this isn't quite blues content, but this 1994 documentary
does do a terrific job of covering the old "Negro leagues" and putting the
pastime in context, with issues of Jim Crow and racism - and yes, blues and
jazz, which often is on the soundtrack.

But anyway, yes, I will be watching the World Series as a baseball fan. The
Yankees are taking a well-deserved rest.

-Chris Burger
 Boston (ex-pat NYer)

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 06:37:44 -0500, bluesfantom <bluesfantom@sisna.com>
wrote:

>Chris, this is not meant to be a flame, but you wrote:
>
>> I'm glad you're happy, Steve, but even as a life-long Yankee fan, I have
>> say that the Giants really severed their relationship to the old N.Y.
team