NBC: Re: Jimmy "T99" Nelson & Elvis Costello Story

Dave Morefield BluesBassDad@earthlink.net
Thu Oct 10 18:38:48 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <SMMCCLANING@cs.com>
To: <BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 15:28
Subject: Re: Jimmy "T99" Nelson & Elvis Costello Story

In a message dated 10/10/02 8:16:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ryburns@swbell.net writes:

<< Jimmy followed that up with some wisecrack about how EC wasn't black, to
which the latter responded, "Yeah, but I'm Irish, and that's almost the sam >>

 Damn if I'm not going to use this line. ROFLMAO !!!

***

I've heard the expression "black Irish" all my life, but I've never known what it
means.

This thread reminded me of the phrase and prompted me to do a search, which revealed
the following informative webpage:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/cultures/irish-faq/part08/section-10.html ,

which at least in part substantiates Elvis's reply.

Just goes to show that Blues-L is intellectually stimulating, over and above its role
in providing a forum to discuss the blues.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield