copy cat

Michael Strain strain@NMR359.UOREGON.EDU
Mon Jun 24 15:46:32 EDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 Sonlewis1@aol.com wrote:

> Chuck makes an interesting point, here... As an interpreter myself, I am
> always aware of the scrutiny of those who claim my version of a song is "not
> accurate" as soon as I put a bit of a spin into it... With acoustic Blues
> particularly, it is important to come very close to original arrangements in
> order to capture a large part of the spirit of the song, and the intent of
> the writer (which I consider critical in an interpretation).  The
> interpretive artist can best hope to add his or her personal emotional
> perspective or connection to the piece, while holding the original framework
> of the song in view... otherwise, you end up with a reggae version of "Stones
> in my passway" (or something like that) that ends up getting you skewered
> anyway....

Accuracy... close to the original arrangement... that's starting to sound
like "classical music".

For me, if the performer stays true to the emotional spirit of an old
song, the exact notes & arrangement aren't particularly important.. they
were probably improvised (or stolen) in the original anyway.

Speaking of instrumental interpreters of Rev. Gary Davis, check out
Woody Mann.

--Mike Strain