BLUES-L Digest - 18 Mar 2001 to 19 Mar 2001 (#2001-79)

cookie holley cookieholley@citlink.net
Tue Mar 20 01:22:56 EST 2001

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 00:00:41 -0500, you belted out the Blues...as if
for the last time....:

>But of course the interbreeding (which was often happening despite strict
>State laws forbidding interracial marriage) was not limited to black-white
>relationships - one has only to consider Lowell Fulson, Muddy Waters, and
>numerous other blues people to realise that there was intermarriage between
>blacks and Amerindians, blacks and Chinese, etc.
>
>In the 1890s, the US Supreme Court endorsed the concept of "separate but
>equal" services for whites and non-whites.  (Except in the western states,
>where there was a substantial native American population, for practical
>purposes, "non-whites" meant people in the black community, whether "fully"
>black, mulatto, or whatever.)  The South Africans later invented a word for
>it - apartheid.

So very True!

Also a wonderful post. My hat's off to you on this one!!

I'd like to interject something here.........the connection between
African American  and Native American Blues is often over looked. The
truth is that many escaped slaves found refuge with Native American
tribes. With them came the music!

Since Native Americans were already into music, rhythm, and dance, it
made for a great combining of cultures. What came out of that is
history....some of the biggest names in the biz!

It is my personal opinion that the Native American connection is too
down played in the area of it's contribution to Blues music. And I do
thank you for bringing this point up.    ;  ]

Can anybody out there point out some Blues that shows this influence??

Cookie Holley
riding the Rider
http://got.to/bumpNgrind
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=cookieholley