What makes a blue performer?

Fred Dabney fdabney@nmsu.edu
Mon Mar 19 13:50:53 EST 2001

> Who's suggesting that one cannot be sincere and have a profit
motive at
> the same time? Isn't combining your avocation with your vocation
the
> ideal situation? No need to create a false dichotomy.

Doesn't always work that way for some people.  I'm nearly an
obsessive
model builder, and for a time while otherwise unemployed I was doing
custom model work.

It rapidly got to the point that I was not doing anything of my
own- when I finished a project for a customer I had no interest
in working on any of my own equipment.

After I got what I laughingly referred to as a "job" (the radio
station) I gradually returned to my own models and now that I'm
retired, I spend as much money and time on them as I do on the
cd's I buy every month- about $300 a month on average...

Other folk I've known have seen the same thing- a hobby doesn't
always make a good career while others find it the closest thing
to heaven they'll ever know.

But the line about "having to do it" certainly fits a lot of
musicians.  How else to explain the dreadful life on the road,
the bad clubs, the nasty people, and all the rest of the
scene?  Because no matter how bad it can be at times, there are
times when nothing else can approach the joy of creating and
making people happy.  I've heard the same thing from theater
people I've known as well.

Speaking of the above, anyone know how Ed Vadas is getting along?
While we were not warm friends, I'd certainly not wish him ill,
and hope his problems have found a resolution.  He was really
down last time I saw one of his posts.

Fred D.