Marketing/was letter from Double Trouble

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@ij.net
Mon Mar 5 18:22:44 EST 2001

At 12:58 PM 3/5/2001 -0500, chuck n. wrote:
>You can blame it on
>whoever you want, but the blues (these days) is a niche market....despite
>your best intentioned exceptions to the contrary. If there was even a chance
>it were anything else, BMG and SONY (to name but two) would be all up its
>ass trying to make a buck off of it. The market isn't there...not for the
>real deal.

I think this depends on how narrowly we define "the real deal".  Sony is
making a buck off it in the form of Keb' Mo'.  Every time he releases a CD
it's in a rack at the end of the isle, well discounted, as a top
seller.  There are some who refuse to call him Blues regardless of what he
plays or how well he plays it, but I call his last CD excellent, and I call
his concerts captivating, and more importantly "sold out".   Besides
charting all his CDs, he fills 6,000 seat venues nightly.   There is no
NEED for Blues to be a niche market.  All you have to do is not treat it
like one.

P.W. Fenton
Tampa, Florida
Listen to my music: http://www.mp3.com/PWFenton