MCA (UK) 3805962 : THE CHESS STORY 1947-1975 (15 CD boxset)

Eric LeBlanc-CISTI Eric.LeBlanc@hia.nrc.ca
Fri Jan 14 17:53:16 EST 2000

 Dear Blues-L(and)

 This new set (MCA (UK) 3805962 : THE CHESS STORY 1947-1975) contains
 a lot of new-to-MCA-CD tracks that will interest collectors. Of the
 340 tracks, 159 entered the Billboard charts - so all the major hits
 are here. The booklet contains a list of all the Chess records that
 entered the charts. The compilers are Colin Escott & Dave Booth, both
 Toronto based. I suspect that the reason why the documentation is so
 low is because MCA UK was interested in presenting the music before the
 end of 1999!  It's only a guest on my part as the CD note writers
 (Colin Escott/R'n'R, Tony Russell/BLUES, Robert Pruter/SOUL) sure enough
 know this music!  The interview CD is a nice touch, especially
 Mary Katherine Aldin's 1999 interview with Phil Chess. By the way the
 CD-ROM has live Chuck Berry (with a Trini Lopez introduction!),
 Bo Diddley talking about when first started recording, and interestingly
 enough, background music NOT included in the CD set. Everytime I load
 the CD-ROM I heard new tracks so I have no idea how many background
 tracks are included! Some of the tracks are by Memphis Slim, Howlin' Wolf,
 Jimmy Withersppon, Ramsey Lewis Trio, Aretha Franklin, Muddy Waters, etc.

 Here'a a few of the Blues/R&B/Soul tracks that will interest collectors.
 I've not included the R'n'R tracks that are new to CD. I'll review the
 complete set on Phil Chess' upcoming 80th birthdate (April 5). If you
 would like the complete list of the 340 tracks, just send me an email
 request.

 All I Need Is You (3:17) - The Dozier Boys
 Anything To Say You're Mine (2:21) - Lula Reed
 Are You Out There? (2:54) - Percy Mayfield
 Biscuit Baking Woman (2:27) - Big Ed & His Combo (Eddie Burns)
 Cadillac Jack (3:06) - Andre Williams
 Can You Be A One-Woman Man (3:08) - Sam Dees
 Crawlin' King Snake (3:04) - Buster Brown
 Do You Remember? (2:34) - L. C. Cooke
 Every Day I Have The Blues (2:32) - Joe Williams
 Here Comes The Judge (2:40) - Pigmeat Markham
 Hey Little Girl (2:57) - John Godfrey Trio
 Hey Pretty Mama (3:02) - Jump Jackson & His Orchestra
 Howlin' Tomcat (2:42) - Harmonica Frank
 I Feel Like Crying (2:55) - Andrew Tibbs
 I Had A Dream (4:05) - John Littlejohn
 I Want To Hug You Kiss You Squeeze You (3:26) - Buddy Griffin & Claudia
 I'll Be Holding On (3:06) - Big Al Downing
 I'm Ashamed Of Myself (2:17) - Floyd Dixon
 I'm Just What She Needs (2:35) - Johnny Sayles
 I'm Shorty (2:44) - Tommy Tucker
 It Ain't Necessary (2:09) - Mamie Galore
 It's A Man's Man's World (2:51) - Big Maybelle
 Juiced (2:29) - Billy Love
 Lonely Baby (3:02) - Ty Hunter
 Look At Me Now (2:40) - Terry Callier
 Mercy Mercy Mercy (3:00) - Marlena Shaw
 Nadine (2:48) - The Coronets
 No More Doggin' Around (2:36) - Rufus Thomas
 Recouperating (2:40) - Lee Eldred
 Second Hand Lover (2:23) - The Knight Brothers
 Send For The Doctor (2:13) - Doc Pomus
 Simple Prayer (2:35) - The Ravens
 Slow Caboose (2:23) - Sax Mallard
 Some-A Your Sweet Love (3:07) - Wayne Cochran
 Sweeter Than The Day Before (2:36) - The Valentinos
 Tell Me What You Want (3:12) - Jimmy Ruffin
 That's Why I Love You So (2:15) - Al Kent
 Tippity Top (2:10) - The Rays
 To Know I Can't Touch (2:18) - Barbara & The Browns
 Try My Love Again (2:01) - Bobby Moore & The Rhythm Aces
 Trying To Make A Living (2:45) - Bobby Saxton
 When I Am Gone (extended version) (3:43) - Joe Hill Louis
 White Cliffs Of Dover (2:51) - The Blue Jays
 Without A Woman (2:49) - Kip Anderson
 Woman On Every Street (2:49) - Forest City Joe
 You Keep Her (2:21) - Joe Tex
 You Left The Water Running (2:40) - Maurice & Mac
 You Name It I've Had It (3:02) - Willie Walker

                                                        eRIC