WDIA: was:Re: Robert Johnson and more/articles

HASHBB@aol.com HASHBB@aol.com
Mon Jan 17 17:25:06 EST 2000

In a message dated 1/17/00 3:54:19 PM, cnevitt@hotmail.com writes:

<<
''Folks call it rock 'n' roll. To me, it's Memphis music.''
Black radio stations such as WDIA in Memphis started to play raw, edgy music
by young white singers who learned about music on the black side of
town.>>>>

My question is did WDIA really play this "raw, edgy music by white singers"?

chuck

Not to answer Chuck's question but more to reminisce, when I first visited
Memphis in 82', I made it a point to visit WDIA. It was located in a smallish
building, the secretary/receptionist asked me what I wanted and I replied
that 'I wanted to see where Rufus Thomas and BB King started', she looked at
me like I was crazy. I know times and things have changed in Memphis, but at
the time, the only blues to be found in town(by a newbie, and not colored)
was at the Blues Alley club on Front st., near the Peabody hotel. Beale st.
at the time was in complete ruin and redevelopment had just begun.
HB