Voices of the Blues

IronMan Mike Curtis ironman@IRONMANCURTIS.COM
Mon Jan 10 07:53:04 EST 2000

On 9 Jan 00, at 11:18, Rory McQuillan wrote:

>  Certain blues singers have a
> mystical quality to their vocals that to me is the very essence of "real
> blues".  Interestingly, I hear little of it in the prewar artists I'm
> familiar with so far.  Of course, there are many artists that some folks
> consider essential that I've never even heard, so I can only speak from my
> own experience.  Anyway, these are some people that are among the bluest
> for me -

A lot of this is die to the time period covered.  Time changes
styles.  The postwar era has its own style.  Prewar artists were IMHO
more "country music" influenced (at least what we now consider
country).  A lot of the artists mentioned in the original (Muddy
Waters, Wolf, etc.) are Chicago blues.

And of course there are many we can add to this list.  Bobby Blue
Bland, Otis Rush, Little Milton, Albert King, Albert Collins, and
although I don't think he's quite as strong a vocalist as the others
(or maybe it's just that I like his guitar work so much that it
detracts from his vocals), certainly deserving honorable mention is
Freddie King.

I think most (all??) of these were heavily influenced by T-Bone
Walker.

Another one I really like, although his vocal style varies quite a
bit from the above, is Johnny Guitar Watson.  All the others relied
heavily on vocal vibrato.  JGW didn't use it nearly as much.  And yet
he was quite effective at capturing a really bluesy "feel".  I also
hear a lot of T-Bone in Johnny.

 - IronMan Mike Curtis - Clickable RealAudio songs from my CD "Doin' It All Myself":
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/6945/NextTime.ram Next Time You See Me...
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/6945/Rogaine.ram Rogaine
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/6945/MoulinRouge.ram Moulin Rouge